The buzz surrounding health apps is quickly becoming a deafening roar and that first comer window of opportunity is closing fast. While there is no doubt that health apps are the way of the future, as an avalanche of them become available, here are ten tips to help make your mHealth strategy and mobile app a success.
1. Originality – Present your app as offering something original that actually makes a useful contribution. Or if your app is in a category that already exists present your app in a unique new and attention getting way.
2. Strategy – Nothing is likely to be much of a success without the right amount of planning. Plan your strategy in a systematic way. Look at the app from the customer’s point of view. If you were they, would you buy it? Check that you are within compliance requirements and whether or not your app needs to be registered as a class 1 device.
3. Website – First A great website is half the battle of marketing your app. Make sure that yours is professional looking and up and running, without glitches, before you launch. Tell people how your mHealth app will benefit them and make your website a great marketing tool. Also don’t forget to optimise it for relevant key phrases so that people can find it on search engines like Google.
4. Social Media – Your mHealth app will stand the best chance if it is fully supported by social media. Twitter is an excellent platform that will supply you with endless attention free of charge. However with a 140-character limit make sure you choose your words wisely! Other social media platforms like LinkedIn and Facebook are also key networks that will give you a channel to get people talking about your app. Also don’t forget the much smaller, niche social networks that also exist within your sector, sometimes you will find that these can be more effective in terms of engaging and interacting with your target audience.
5. Sales Pitch – Make sure that you have honed your sales pitch to the best that it can be before you do anything else. Your sales pitch needs to convince people to take the next step. Creating app promo videos are often a great way to show people the key features and benefits of your app.
6. Blogs – are very popular and setting up a good one can be a great step towards your having a successful mHealth app. They are very much joined at the hip with social media and if you can get Tech sites or other relevant sites to feature you, then that will also be an invaluable l marketing tool. Also reach out to other influential bloggers and ask if they’d be interested in writing a post about it.
7. The Friendly Approach – Make your tweets, posts and blogs casual, and not too formal, but still professional. People respond better to a more friendly approach.
8. Tease! – Start the hype early and keep the customer guessing as you build up to the launch. Make the eventual reveal an event that people want to know about.
9. Media Hype – Creating a buzz or media hype around your mHealth app will certainly help it launch. Offer free downloadable press releases of your app with high-resolution images for potential users. Ask reputable, category specific blogs to feature any promos.
10. The Big Launch – All the hype and the work you have done towards launching your mHealth app will be wasted if your launch ends up as something of a damp squib. Ensuring that you have maximum app store visibility is key so you amy also want to consider an app store optimisation (ASO) campaign. Make sure that you send out newsletters and press invitations – do everything you can to make the launch go with a bang.